Postdoctoral Fellow (Research/Teaching), Neuroscience, NIH Funded Research
September 12, 2018
Fellowship - Experienced
Academic / Research
This is a three-year postdoctoral position in our neurodevelopmental disorders and plasticity laboratory in the Neuroscience Department at Regis College (http://www.regiscollege.edu/about/directory.cfm?id=Threlkeld%2C%20Steven%20). We have newly renovated facilities for rodent housing, microscopy and behavioral testing and collaborate extensively with other departments and regional partners. Our research focuses on understanding the anatomical, cognitive (spatial and working memory) and auditory sensory consequences of neonatal hypoxia-ischemia and developmental brain malformations (associated with premature birth and infection in humans). We are also interested in potential behavioral and pharmacological intervention strategies after neonatal and adult brain injury using rodent models. The aim of our current project is to assess the timing at which neuronal branch and spine level plasticity emerge after early cognitive experience and anti-inflammatory treatment, and to identify the age window required for the combined interventions to facilitate neuronal plasticity in rodents with HI injury. This position is ideal for someone interested in pursuing a career that weaves together dynamic teaching with high impact research.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The successful candidate will (1) conduct research in developmental behavioral neuroscience, (2) assist in training and mentoring undergraduate students, (3) assist in teaching three undergraduate neuroscience program related courses annually, and (4) assist with and develop grant-writing.
Applicants should email a cover letter, CV and contacts for three professional references to the Regis College School of Health Sciences at email@example.com referencing the name of the position in the subject line of the email.
Although not required, preference will be given to candidates with experience using rodent behavioral assessment methods, microscopy software, and teaching undergraduate students.
In employment, as in education, Regis College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.
Internal Number: 09-12-18
About Regis College
Regis is a private Catholic coed university in Greater Boston with nearly 2,700 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students within the four schools of arts and sciences, business and communication, health sciences, and nursing. Regis is located 12 miles from Boston on a beautiful suburban campus in Weston, MA. Founded in 1927 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, Regis offers students a values-based education integrated with cutting-edge technology and industry-focused curriculum. Students can enroll in courses on campus or in the university's rapidly expanding online program.
Students from across the U.S. and abroad pursue studies in biology, biomedical engineering, communication, education, global business management, the humanities, medical imaging, neuroscience, nursing, nutrition, occupational therapy, psychology, public health, social work, pre-dental, pre-law, pre-medical, and pre-veterinary programs. Regis students are encouraged to take advantage of flexible educational options like the 4+1 master's, which allows students to earn a bachelor and master's degree in five years.
· A bucolic campus environment with more than 70 ...percent of undergraduate students living on campus in five residence halls which include new suite-style rooms and fitness equipment.
· A comprehensive internship program where students participate in unique clinical and internship experiences in Boston and the surrounding area. 96% of Regis graduates are employed full-time or are enrolled in graduate school six months after graduation.
· Unique global experience opportunities through its Center for Global Connections, including study abroad and global service learning programs.
· A nationally recognized nursing program that has received the National League for Nursing designation as a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education for a third consecutive time.
· Broad academic support services through the Academic Center for Excellence, iPads for all students and faculty, and an 11:1 student to faculty ratio.
· An expansive library with a learning commons, study and research space with FitDesks that allow students to exercise while studying, and a Dunkin Donuts.
· 25+ clubs and organizations and student programming.
Regis has 18 men's and women's NCAA Division III athletic teams in the Great Northeast Athletics Conference (GNAC). The Athletic Facility includes:
· Indoor facilities with three fitness rooms, a six-lane swimming pool, gymnasium, athletic training room, and team room.
· Outdoor facilities with a turf field surface for field hockey, lacrosse, and soccer; an eight-lane track around the field; six tennis courts; and a softball diamond with a dirt infield and grass outfield.
The College offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees as part of a competitive compensation program. Benefits include a health insurance plan, a dental plan, a vision plan, a Section 125 plan, a liberal holiday schedule, vacation days, sick time, and several tuition discount programs for employees and family members, as well as a College contribution to a retirement plan. Full-time employees receive Life, Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability insurance. Other services include a Children's Center, free use of athletic and library services, dining services, a discount in the College bookstore, free shuttle service to and from Riverside MBTA station, and free parking on campus. Employees are welcome to attend a variety of cultural events on campus and may participate in programs offered by Campus Ministry at Regis College.
Founded in 1927 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston and led by President Antoinette Hays, PhD, RN, Regis is grounded by its principles of welcoming all without distinction and caring for the dear neighbor.
To learn more, please visit the Regis website: www.regiscollege.edu