The Medical Specialty Care team provides expert integrated care with clear treatment plans to patients. Specialist Physicians provide evidence-based, solution-focused assessments and interventions geared toward optimal patient care and outcomes. Medical Specialty is a health care model that is interconnected with patient's medical care and medical care teams and requires specialized training and experience. In addition, this role performs high-level consultation to other physicians and other medical care team members. Physician Specialists work in a fast pace, high volume setting with the ability to effectively pivot from a patient facing to a physician/staff facing role throughout the day. Physician Specialists thrive on being adaptable, flexible, and able to function at a consistently high level.
Major Responsibilities/Essential Functions - In order of importance, list primary job responsibilities.
· Work in a fast-paced Specialty Care setting requiring the ability to manage multiple competing demands, constantly re-prioritize, and succinctly communicate relevant information effectively to both patients and medical team members.
· Provide expert integrated specialty care and diagnostic services in a clinical setting.
· Work effectively in an inter-disciplinary team collaborating with care teams to explore patient health conditions and diagnose health issues, while ensuring positive, effective patient experiences.
· Demonstrate current knowledge of cultural competency, particularly related to how variables related to socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, and culture impact physical and emotional health; demonstrated experience and working understanding of how these variables may impact presentation of various concerns in specialty care settings.
· Analyze reports, test results, medical records and examinations to diagnose condition of patients and propose treatment options.
· Order laboratory and radiology tests and refer patients for additional care when appropriate.
· Prescribe appropriate medications, treatments and health regimens to treat patient health issues, and documented medical conditions.
· Discuss potential side effects of medication/treatment with patients and ensure that all allergy information is up to date before prescribing medication/treatment.
· Provide advi standards.
· Maintain patient confidentiality and comply with all federal and state health information privacy laws.
· Record complete, timely electronic medical records.
· Effectively utilize electronic health record and verbal communication to concisely communicate relevant information to staff and patients in a timely manner.
· Fosters collaboration and open communication between primary and specialty care as delineated in the Primary Care-Specialty Care Master Service Agreement.
· Advice to patients for lifestyle and diet changes that may improve their health or help to treat the health issue they are experiencing.
· Adhere to departmental policies, procedures and objectives, ongoing quality improvement objectives and safety, environmental, and infection control
CPMG Core Competencies - ALL are required
• Demonstrates transparency in decision making and applies rules and expectations consistently.
• Empowers others by giving autonomy on day-to-day execution of strategy.
• Leads by example by delivering on own commitments and managing operations efficiently.
• Trusts others to deliver on their commitments.
• Gives others a voice by engaging the team in collaboratively defining strategies rather than imposing own agenda.
• Takes a big picture approach by considering future market factors for healthcare.
• Links the benefits of strategies to patient outcomes and organizational performance.
• Provides rationale for ideas to demonstrate feasibility and practicality.
• Breaks down silos to engage other departments and learn from their experiences to support problem solving.
• Sets clear expectations with the team to give direction and establish metrics for success.
• Holds others accountable to mutually agreed upon goals and performance standards.
• Knows the diverse styles of individuals on the team and leverages strengths appropriately.
• Creates open lines of communication to share information and receive feedback.
• Maintains emotional poise and understands the emotional impact of decisions and actions on the team.
• Seizes opportunities to implement innovative ideas.
• Takes initiative to deliver results beyond the status quo.
• Adapts to changing circumstances by maintaining flexibility and quickly changing course.
• Demonstrates openness for taking appropriate risks to achieve results.
Disclaimer, Compliance and Service Language-Do Not Edit
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties and skills required. The incumbent may be expected to perform other duties as assigned.
COMPLIANCE & INTEGRITY: Consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (Kaiser Permanente’s Code of Conduct) by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser Permanente’s policies and procedures.
Models and reinforces ethical behavior in self and others in accordance to the Principles of Responsibility; adheres to organizational policies and guidelines; supports compliance initiatives; maintains confidences; admits mistakes; conducts business with honesty; shows consistency in words and actions; follows through on commitments.
All Directors, Managers and Supervisors are accountable for communication, implementation, enforcement, monitoring and oversight of compliance policies and practices in their departments.
SERVICE & QUALITY: In addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by the Kaiser Permanente Service Quality Credo, the KP Mission as well as specific departmental/organizational initiatives. Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors.
Preferred Education - education or degree preferred
Fellowship training in area of specialty.
Required Licensure, Certification, Registration or Designation - Licensure or certifications required
M.D. or D.O.
· Board certification or eligibility in related field.
· Current Stale Medical Practitioner License.
· Current Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and Department of Public Safety (DPS) registration, for prescription writing.
Internal Number: 1209
About Colorado Permanente Medical Group
Colorado Permanente Medical Group
Colorado Permanente Medical Group (CPMG) has an exclusive, integrated partnership with Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Colorado. While we are separate organizations complementing one another, our missions are the same--to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and improve the health of our members and the communities we serve.
By offering care and coverage together, we help Coloradans thrive. We serve communities throughout Denver/Boulder, Northern and Southern Colorado.
As a CPMG physician, you’ll find fulfillment working alongside board-certified colleagues in a comprehensive array of specialties. Permanente Medicine allows you to practice evidence-based, patient-centered medicine in a culture that is collaborative, inclusive and committed to making a difference in people’s lives.
Our system combines quality resources, state-of-the-art facilities, an Epic-based electronic medical records system, and true experts who collaborate. Free from the pressures of practicing fee for service medicine, you can focus on what matters most--caring for your patients.
Partnering closely with our physicia...n, CPMG professional staff use their expertise in business operations management, scheduling, analytics, human resources, communications, legal, finance and strategy to support high-quality care delivery.
Our team-based culture fosters a respectful and collegial environment where all people are treated with compassion.
Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
CPMG is dedicated to integrating equity, inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our operations. Our longstanding commitment to diversity includes both the development of a diverse workforce and the delivery of culturally competent care to our members. We encourage an open, inclusive environment that supports and empowers our physicians and professional staff.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, marital status, physical or mental disability, age or any other protected status under federal, state or local law.
CPMG offers a Market-leading benefit package, which includes:
• Medical and dental coverage
• Life insurance
• Short-term and long-term disability coverage
• Professional liability coverage (occurrence-based)
• 401(k) and Defined Benefit Retirement Plan (Cash Balance)
• Vacation, holidays, and educational leave with funds
• In-house CME opportunities